Stomach surgery in Turkey : Stomach Surgery is a surgical method especially when patients with a weight problem are unable to achieve results with diet, sports and medication. Since the stomach will become smaller after the surgery, the patient will consume less food and less calorie and starts to lose weight. Additionally, this surgery has important positive changes in the stomach-intestine system hormones that control blood sugar and hunger-satiety control.
Stomach surgery is a surgical operation that removes a certain part of the patient’s stomach. With the advanced technologies, it is possible to perform the surgery with laparoscopic methods, without dissecting the abdominal wall and by using special tools that are guided from small holes.
The sleeve gastrectomy surgery is divided into three.
- Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Gastric Band
- Gastric Bypass
- Sleeve Gastrectomy This surgery involves removing approximately 75-80% of the stomach and connecting the remaining part of the intestine. After this surgery, the stomach has a tube-like small shape and the patient can feel full with a small amount of food. This way, hunger will decrease and calorie intake will decrease as well. This surgery operated with laparoscopic methods removes the hunger hormone production section of the stomach and the individual does not feel hungry after eating.
- Gastric Bypass Surgery: A certain part of the stomach is bypassed and directly connected to the small intestine. The bypassed part of the stomach is connected to the duodenum. After this surgery, the bypassed section of the stomach loses its function. The food will go to the small stomach and the intestine that is connected to the stomach.
- Gastric Band: A band is placed between the oesophagus and stomach. The stomach is divided into two and the patient will feel full as the top part of the stomach will be full. This leads to eating less and weight loss.
Stomach surgeries are performed on overweight (obese) individuals when diet, medication and exercise methods are tried but did not work. Especially in recent years, obesity has been a problem for human health in general. Individuals are forced to fight against excessive weight as well as weight-related diseases such as type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome, some types of cancer, sleep apnoea. Obesity is a disease that decreased lifespan and can have deadly consequences if not treated. Individuals first try medical treatment methods, medicine, sports, exercise and psychological support. But if these methods do no work and the individual cannot lose weight, gastric sleeve surgery is performed.
Gastric sleeve surgery might sometimes be perceived as an operation performed for aesthetic concerns. But this surgery enables the individuals to have a healthy and quality life and increases the lifespan at least 10-15 years. Gastric sleeve surgeries are on the other hand a type of metabolic surgery and can have successful results for treating type-2 diabetes.
Not everyone with obesity disease can have gastric sleeve surgery. The individuals must meet certain conditions to have gastric sleeve surgery. These are:
- The patient must have body mass index higher than 40 or comorbid diseases with body mass index between 35-40 (high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnoea, joint ailments, reflux disease, etc.).
- The individual must have a weight problem for 3 years and have not achieved any results with exercise and diet program for the last 1 year.
- The individual must not have hormonal diseases.
- The individual should be between 18-65 years old. But individuals below 18 and above 65 years old might have the surgery depending on their health conditions.
- The individual must not have addictions such as alcohol or drug addiction.
- The individual must have the psychology to understand the risks during and after the surgery, follow the guidance and follow-up conditions of the doctor after the surgery and comply with the eating The patient must not have endocrinologic (hormonal) diseases.
- If the patient is planning to get pregnant, it is advised to delay it at least 24 months.
Gastric sleeve surgeries are performed by general surgery specialists. But when the individuals decide to have the surgery, it is important to choose a doctor specialised in bariatric surgery. Gastric sleeve surgeries are not performed in all hospitals and health clinics. Therefore, individuals must do detailed research about the health clinic selection. In recent years, gastric sleeve surgery is preferred because of the fast results and safety. Our country has health clinics and expert doctors performing gastric sleeve surgeries. İzmir is at the top in this sense and surgeries by experts doctors enable obesity patients to have a healthier and higher quality life.